Monday, July 7, 2014

#summergratitude: Remember When . . .

Quotes On Images


The other day did NOT feel like summer- and I LOVED it!

Cool breeze. Chilly temps. Sweatshirts on.

All the swim events were cancelled for the day and we headed to the zoo.

My kind of weather.

As we were heading down the most ginormous hill ever created to see our second animal of choice (the giraffes), I noticed a family about the head UP the deadly hill.

The mom was pushing a double stroller- two kids full. The dad was pushing a double stroller- one kid riding and one attached to his front in a carrier. I had a moment of Remember When . . .

I smiled bright. The mom probably thought I was laughing at her. But, my feeling was quite the opposite.

I stopped for a second to give praise. "Way to go. You two are doing great! I remember those days not too long ago. We're down to a wagon and three walkers. We are almost there."

The dad took a look at my brood. My oldest three on foot and the baby (who is NOT a baby any longer) riding in the back of the wagon. His question was sincere, "It goes fast, doesn't it?"

My response was real and honest. "It sure does. Try to enjoy as many moments as you can."

I remember when I thought we would never be out of diapers. I remember when ever outing we took felt like we were packing for a trip to Disney (which we've never really been, so I don't fully know- ha). I remember feeling like days would never end; like I'd never get a good night's rest; like I'd never be able to have a moment to myself; like I was completely alone, yet always surrounded by little people.

Don't get me wrong, I have amazing memories from those years, too. But if we are real about life, we must know that we can't LOVE every second of every day. So we must appreciate as many of the moments as we can. It's not going to be perfect, but when the time is gone and we are left 'remembering when . . .' there is a sense of accomplishment, pride and certainly longing for wanting to go back and make sure we made the most of our time.

Where at you at this Monday morning? What times can you remember from the past that will help you appreciate where you are today?

A job that was once overwhelming that now feels just right?
A marriage that was struggling that now has renewed love?
An illness that was once debilitating that now is managed?
A family that was in turmoil that now has moments of glory?

Take time today to 'Remember When'. After all, time goes by so quickly that we occasionally forget to see growth made.

And for those of you stuck in a struggling, overwhelming or debilitating time of life, many warm thoughts are offered up for you. That soon you will be able to look back on this time as just another stepping stone to your journey that makes you even stronger than you know you are.

I'll leave you with a song! Alan Jackson's, Remember When, is too perfect not to mention. A must for you to listen to if you haven't heard it. The journey of life can seem long- yet looking back, it's easy to see how it too quickly passes us by.

Notice strength gained from past experiences
 
Enjoy the journey you have been blessed with, love the people in your life, smile :) and remember, 'It's Okay'.  
 
Visit www.itsokaybooks.com to learn more!
 
Don't want to miss a blog? Sign up to follow by e-mail.
 
Follow on Facebook & Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment