Sunday, June 9, 2013

Is It Okay? Absolutely!

Last night after a long day of my son being overly goofy, I was about at my wits end.  It wasn't anything major; he wasn't being terribly difficult.  It was little stuff; constant little stuff.  Dinner was late due to a wonderful afternoon downtown and I have to admit, I was very tired.  We got to have a little lemonade with dinner (quite a treat since my kids usually get water or water) and they downed their drinks quickly.  When they were finished, they could refill with water.  I might add this is an unfortunate thing they get to do since it requires they get up from the table (over and over again ... I can only blame myself or get off my butt and get it for them, which I was too tired to do).

My son was particularly pleased that his warm water was quickly cooled by the three ice cubes he added.  He was so pleased that he shared some with his five-year-old sister.  She had put her ice cubes in first and then added water and he was sure that hers was not as cold because the process was different.  I had gently reminded them to keep eating.  I gave them the LOOK.  They knew I was not happy.  But it continued and you can guess what happened.  The water spilled.  I didn't say anything except that they had five minutes before I cleaned up dinner and that if they weren't done, it was their problem.  There would be no more food served until breakfast.  I have to admit, I was not the most mature about my threat.

So, my son ate in soggy pants and knew he would be cleaning up his puddle after he quickly downed his dinner.  As dinner was coming to a close, he wiped up his pile and I instructed everyone to help clear the table.  He began playing with his two-year-old sister and chasing her wildly around the kitchen.  I really just didn't want anyone to fall over the dishwasher or to spill anything else.  Instead of saying that, I grabbed his wet shorts (which he was wearing around his ankle) and told him to go to bed; that I didn't want to deal with him anymore.  Again, I was probably not the most mature about the way I dealt with my strong emotions.   

He went.

My five-year-old didn't like the way I handled the situation with her brother.  She shared that, "You know Mom, we act the way we do because you act the way you do.  I learn it from you and then Raina (the two-year-old) learns it from me."  I explained very adult-like (NOT!) that her brother knew he was not doing what he was supposed to be doing and that I make mistakes just like everyone else.

When I went upstairs, my son was already showered and preparing for bed.  I asked him if he knew why he was sent to bed early.  He didn't bat and eye and said, "yes."  He knew he wasn't going to be read to, he knew that his day was not as stand up as it could have been.  I apologized that my tone was pretty nasty and that I hope I didn't bother him when his ankle shorts were taken out from underneath him.  He said he was fine and that it was all okay.

I realize I act much like my children some days.  They are not perfect and neither am I.  It's tiring to ask nicely a million times.  It's unfortunate that I don't model perfect behavior.  I suppose it's okay to admit when I fail so that they can see there is always tomorrow!

Today my son did spectacular at church.  I made sure to tell him over and over again how much I appreciated his good behavior.  I was even proud of my five-year-old who had an unprompted long conversation with an old friend when we ventured to Target after church.  I went over to say hello after checking out and to thank this friend for talking so long with my little gem.  As we were wrapping up our conversation, that same little gem when over and stole the pop I had given to the two-year-old (this was an effort to keep her quiet while I wrangled everyone up).  The two-year-old's scream was heard throughout the store and well into the parking lot.

Another friend witnessed this whole scene and came over laughing.  "Well, here's another one for the book!  It's okay."  Okay it was (minus the embarrassment and looks I got from strangers).  All in all, I can't complain and things really did turn out okay!  Oh, and when we made it back to the car I found my keys nicely placed in the ignition where I had left them almost an hour and a half earlier!  The silver lining is that at least the car wasn't on and nobody had a joy ride with our 2008 minivan!

Enjoy the journey you have been blessed with, love the people in your life, smile :) and remember, 'It's Okay'.

Visit www.itsokaybooks.com to learn more!

Don't want to miss a blog? Sign up to receive e-mail notification.

No comments:

Post a Comment