Monday, May 26, 2014

#marriagemonday: Marriage Manifesto

Married Life Quotes

Top Ten ways I vow to keep my marriage happy, healthy and going strong!

10. I will talk to you everyday.
Even when I don't want to talk, I will find a way to share words with you. During the day, I will continue to look forward to hearing your voice, reading your texts or just thinking about how nice it would be to talk with you.

9. I will call you names (when needed).
I promise to continue to call you names- not because you really are the names I call you, but because every once in a while I just need to 'lose it'. The nice thing about this is that we can continue to laugh at ME and MY ridiculousness when this happens. Mostly, I will always love the way you forgive me, talk with me, hold me and make me feel better.

8. I will laugh at your jokes (when you're not looking).
Though I tell everyone that you used to be funny, but aren't any more- deep down I will always crack up at your jokes. With the children around, I will have to continue to be the grown-up, but LOVE that you can be the joker and make life the fun it should be. I won't be able to say these things to you-out loud- for many years, but you can know that the reason I married you is still the reason I love you so very much. Your humor keeps me young and makes living more enjoyable.

7. I will remember why I fell in love with you.
Speaking of why I married you . . . there are so many reasons that I never truly articulate. Your humor is just the beginning. You listen. You're trustworthy. Your work ethic is top notch. You clean and are willing to help out when others need you. You're a loyal friend. You're engaged in your relationships (with friends, me and especially our children). You're smart and know how to read a map (this is helpful in far too many ways to mention- thank goodness you know about the facts our kids spout off and can help me find my 'lost' way). You have always, and continue to, treat me like a princess (even on days I'm acting like the wicked witch). I'm so glad I fell in love with you and will work our whole life remembering why!

6. I will never have a bester friend than you.
I have amazing girlfriends. I love to be around people- going out, at work, playing volleyball, running . . . I just enjoy having solid friendships. BUT, I have never had a better friend than YOU! You truly know all my darkness and love me anyway. You listen to me when no one else is around. You comfort me when I'm hormonal or desperate. You remind me of my strengths and how I can always make it through. I have fun with you! You are the bestest friend I could ever have.

5. I will tell you everything (but be kind in my delivery).
When we are frantically cleaning before a party- and you decide to hang curtains . . . I will tell you that there are other things needing to be done. When we are both packing on the pounds and avoiding our much needed exercise and healthier approach to eating . . . I will tell you. When there's a hot guy on TV or Adam is making a debut on the VOICE without his shirt on . . . I will tell you (but, you know it doesn't mean I love you any less). When you need to complain about something going wrong in life- I will listen . . . and then, if you want to hear it, I will tell you if there's another side to the story. I will continue to be me (sorry!) and tell you everything!

4. I will be irritated at your approach, but appreciate the outcome.
You amaze me at how you can get things done when you set your mind to it! It drives me mad at the times you decide to 'getter done', but I will ALWAYS love when it's done. I will always appreciate how clean our windows and stove are before people come to our house- you tend to focus on those! And even though I often have to ask for help with folding clothes, I will always appreciate that you join me. You told me long ago that I could either tell you what to do or how to do it, but not tell you both. I'm still working on this!

3. I will tell you when you hurt my feelings (beating a dead horse over and over and over).
I know I over-do things. I can't stop. It's who I am. I will continue to over-communicate, over-share and beat a dead horse deader. I appreciate that most of the time you put up with this. I understand when you lose your cool- it's because I can bring out the very worst in you. I often know when I'm doing it. I want to stop, but I just can't. Most often, you know . . . it's not even that you hurt my feelings, but that my feelings are hurt (and there is a difference). I'm a strong and independent woman, but sensitive and vulnerable at heart. You know this about me and care for me in just the right way. I'm sorry that I've beat so many horses along the way- I'm sure there are many more to come (at least you won't be surprised when they're lined up on the side of the road).

2. I will always miss you when I'm away from you (but appreciate that being away helps me remember why I miss you).
I'm more 'me' when you are around. I miss you when you're gone. I miss you when I'm out without you. I miss you when I'm alone with all the kids. That's a good thing! But, I will continue to live my life- seeing friends, sneaking away for coffee with girls or a weekend get-a-way. I will do these things because they make me feel complete. This is not how you complete me, but it's critical for who I am. Just know, even though I'm living . . . I'm still missing you.

1. I will tell you I love you a million times over and that will never be enough.
Even when we are angry, we end our phone conversations and evenings with, "I love you." There have been times when I feared the words had lost their meaning because we say them out of habit. I've realized, it's quite the opposite. The habit shows the comfort and deep need to remind one another that we are in love- still- after all these years. I will continue to say, "I love you!" and mean it every time I say it. Happy, sad, angry or scared; these words will never lose their meaning and will forever let you know that our love will survive all the bumps in this road we call life.

Happy #marriagemonday! Take time this week to notice what pieces and parts make your marriage whole and complete.

We must continue to fight to keep our marriages happy, healthy and strong. In communicating the good, the bad and the ugly, we can ensure that our partners stay our 'better halves'!

Good luck fighting the fight. Stay strong. Stay in love. Share your heart.

 Boy am I lucky to be married to the bestest friend anyone could ask for! ? Take time this week to
 
Enjoy the journey you have been blessed with, love the people in your life, smile :) and remember, 'It's Okay'.  
 
Visit www.itsokaybooks.com to learn more!
 
Don't want to miss a blog? Sign up to follow by e-mail.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment