Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Thankful for Small Acts

Today I am thankful for so many things I usually take for granted.  I am blessed with an amazing family that lives right here in town (and others that are at the reach of my phone).  I have neighbors that are trustworthy, honest and that I am proud to call my friends.  My children go to a school that is walking distance from our house that is full of tremendous teachers.  The preschool that my daughter attends is like a second home (her teacher came to her party on Sunday!).  My dear friends that live both in town and out are people that I can count on and enjoy more than I can stand. 

Why?  Why am I bringing this up today?  Well, last night something happened that made me realize I have it pretty darn good.  It all started with a small act of kindness by the woman behind the YMCA counter.  As I approached her (running late for class and without a water bottle), I asked her if I could have a cup.  I knew that I needed at least one glass of water since I don't know that I had drank any yesterday.  Anyway, she informed me that you can't take cups into the workout rooms, but asked if I could wait a second.  She went in the back and pulled out a water bottle.  She gave it to me, free of charge and with a gleaming smile on her face!  I was so thankful. 

This started a little escapade of getting set up in a very full class.  I ended up next to a woman who was taking the class for the first time.  She was so excited.  Friendly beyond belief and I have to add, had the most beautiful face.  A short time into class she sat down and didn't look so well.  I stopped and asked her if she was okay.  She replied that she felt very dizzy.  The teacher came over and then stepped out to grab the same woman that offered me my water bottle.  She noticed that the woman looked disoriented and realized the woman did not know her name. 

I helped get the woman on her feet and to the hallway.  The ambulance was called because of her pain and disorientation.  We realized in the meantime that her son was there with her.  In trying to keep her awake, I started asking her a billion questions.  I soon became aware that she and her son were on their own.  That she had no emergency contact and could only think of one person to call and help her (to which she couldn't remember the number).  I took the key that went to her locker and searched the locker room to find the right locker.  Finally, her purse and phone were found in the hopes that she could get in touch with someone who could help her.

I went back in to finish class and then continued on with my night.  I picked up my daughter from dance and then met my husband at scouts to pick up my two little ones so that he could finish up scouts with my son.  You see we struggle to make it all happen and we have each other, as well as dozens of other people who can help us when we are in a bind.  My mind started reeling ... how would this woman get home from the hospital?  Who would help with her son if she has to stay over night?  How would she get her car from the YMCA?

Well, I took my three little ladies and headed to the hospital to find out!  It was a blessing I went.  I was able to help on many levels.  I'm blogging about this for one reason- I take so many blessings for granted EVERY SINGLE DAY.  As I thought about what would have happened if it was me who got taken away by ambulance ... there would be at least 15 people I could call that would be there within minutes.  By doing a small deed last night, I was reminded about how many people touch my life on a daily basis.

Small acts of kindness go a long way!  Take time today to smile at someone sad.  Or talk to the over-worked cashier.  That bottle of water yesterday reminded me to pay it forward.  You never know how much you can impact those around you or touch a saddened heart.  You do make a difference.  You are a powerful force!  Here's to being thankful for the opportunities we have every day on this beautiful earth (even the days that are like winter in spring!).
 


1 comment:

  1. Sounds exactly like something you would do. She is very lucky you were there.
    Oh, glad you like the Y. I didn't realize you joined. I'm taking two classes tonight if you want to join me.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete