Wednesday, July 10, 2013

It Takes a Village

What would we do without the help of others? Why in this day and age do we think we have to do it alone? Why is it frowned upon if we get a little extra help now and again?

We were at the pool the other day and I am not sure how it all began. I think it was something simple ... my five-year-old wanted a noodle. It wasn't our noodle, but our friends' who have kids the same ages as my older two children and then a child older than mine. Maybe my little spirited girl was feeling left out. We will NEVER know what sets this little fireball off.

I was told she pinched and hit one of the friends. I saw her splashing my daughter and the other girl in the face. I knew it wasn't good. I calmly asked her to walk a lap around the pool (our newest strategy for 'hitting' is that they have to run to the corner and back at our house or walk a lap around the pool if that is where we are). She did not like this one bit.

I moved to strategy 800 and let her know that she could take a lap or sit out until the next pool break. All hell broke loose as she struck me. Calmly, I said she owed me two laps now or she'd be sitting out and that if she couldn't handle that I would call her father to come and get her while we enjoyed pool time.

She reluctantly followed me back to our seats with some more abuse ... I made the phone call ... NO ANSWER.

She took off and started playing in the pool. Ugh. I mentally started planning my escape. I got my oldest out of the pool and let her know that we might need to leave shortly and that I would need her help even though I know she didn't do anything to deserve leaving the pool early. She was on board but very sad and disappointed. I went back to the pool hoping I could delay the unfortunate descent home. My five-year-old would not stop. Everyone that got in her way was treated unkindly and she sought out those that didn't get in her way.

I told my son the plan. He, too, was very disappointed. What was I to do? I had a five-year-old I was going to need to carry out kicking and screaming, a two-year-old who is anything but trustworthy at the pool (jumping in without any care in the world) and a seven and eight-year-old who would be punished for something they didn't do.

As I was getting out my older two, our friend offered to keep them while I ran home. Thank goodness for friends who understand difficult days.

I don't know how, but I convinced my five-year-old to follow me. I got her and the two-year-old safely to the car. Getting in the car and the ride home were ugly to say the least. I kept my calm, but I was the only one.

My spirited child didn't come out of her room except for when we had dinner. I was able to make it back to the pool as soon as my hubby could sneak out of work. We enjoyed as much time as we could to soak up the fact that we weren't going to have the kind of trouble we did just an hour earlier.

I'm so grateful for my friend who kept my older two children so I could follow through with one of mine. It definitely takes a village and while I was very embarrassed and disappointed with my daughter's behavior, my friend let me know that I was not alone in my struggles.

Here's to being 'real' with good friends who understand. We all have bad days and with four children, I'm guaranteed to have at least one child who is ALWAYS off! It's okay. That's what friends are for!

Enjoy the journey you have been blessed with, love the people in your life, smile :) and remember, 'It's Okay'. 
 
Visit www.itsokaybooks.com to learn more!
 
Don't want to miss a blog? Sign up to receive e-mail notification.

No comments:

Post a Comment