Sunday, July 14, 2013

There's Always Tomorrow

It seems as though I can do pretty good for a while 'letting it all go' so that I can enjoy living. And then, all of a sudden, the you-know-what hits the fan.

When this happens, I am anything but pleasant to be around. Every task in the house seems so daunting and overwhelming. The eight loads of laundry that I actually folded still need to be put away, the entire three floors of our house need to be scrubbed ... the damn dog won't stop shedding, the rotten children keep wanting to play (go figure- ha) and Mommy Dearest is the crabbiest witch anyone has laid eyes on.

It all started after a glorious morning of kids playing in their pj's and me enjoying a cup of coffee on the deck. My two-year-old slept in late and then wanted to cuddle. All of a sudden it was 10:00 am and I felt as though I had got NOTHING done. My husband walked in the door with my son ... they had been fishing since before the sun came up. "It's a GREAT day!" My husband was so proud of our little man, a true fisher.

I told him about my morning and that I was sorry there was a mess EVERYWHERE. I should also mention that I decided this was the morning I decided to clean out the craft cupboard. He listened intently to me describing sitting on the couch with our little one and serving breakfast outside while the kids played. "Sounds like you've had a GREAT day, too! Who cares about the other stuff. There's always tomorrow."

He was so right, yet I couldn't shake the overwhelming feeling I was having. Sure my craft cupboard got cleaned out, but that was it. And who looks in the craft cupboard anyway? It was on my summer list of things to get done- the only thing I've actually crossed off. Maybe it's because I have this feeling that summer is almost over. Is there anything wrong with just enjoying the kids and saying, "screw it" to the to-do list?

There's nothing wrong with letting things go, but eventually LIFE catches up. Eventually things HAVE to get done in order to live. This balance is and has always been a struggle for me. The funny thing is, it always gets done. Sure, not in the timely fashion I would hope, but it gets done. That's what matters.

The million and two things that I want to get done in our house is now at a million and one. I suppose I should be thankful for this small accomplishment. I should break down my tasks one by one so that I'm not so overwhelmed with the big picture. Our kids are happy and healthy. We had a great family weekend together. My kids aren't going to remember what a task-oriented mother they had, but they will remember mornings spent cuddling or playing in their pj's.

I will continue to stress over things I wish I had time to do. But, for tonight, I will remember that it's not about how much I can accomplish in one day, but how much life I can enjoy. These moments when the children are young will not last forever. I'm trying my darndest to remember that and enjoy the heck out of them. I'm doing my best to be present in the moment I am encountering. It's okay that I struggle, but I must continue to try!

Enjoy today ... what you don't get done today will still be there tomorrow! Good luck living in the moment and enjoying the ride life has to offer.

Enjoy the journey you have been blessed with, love the people in your life, smile :) and remember, 'It's Okay'. 
Visit www.itsokaybooks.com to learn more!
Don't want to miss a blog? Sign up to receive e-mail notification.

No comments:

Post a Comment