Sunday, March 23, 2014

#marriagemonday: He Played Our Song

Click here to listen to Bonnie Raitt's Feels Like Home
Why is music so powerful? What is it about a song that plummets a person back in history? Feelings and memories flood the heart and mind ... all because of a song.

This Saturday we had darn near nothing to do. It was fabulous. The day was spent cleaning, playing, cleaning some more and playing some more.

Before dinner, we all ended up downstairs. My hubby was playing songs for the kids on the computer; each taking turns picking their favorites. I stayed the course of cleaning (I'm kind of a fun-hater!). My kids called out that it was my turn to pick.

I was reluctant to answer. I couldn't think of a single song title at that moment. I froze.

My better half came to my rescue. "I know a song mom would like," he announced with a smile.

I thanked him and continued on my cleaning way. But, as soon as I heard the first few notes and saw him put the computer down, I knew what was coming.

The toys were taken out of my hand and tossed on the floor. Then and there he demanded that I dance with him. It only lasted about 20 seconds before we were bombarded by the kids, but those 20 seconds were pretty wonderful.

Our wedding song was playing in the background. Our children were surrounding us. At that moment, I took nothing for granted.

I think back to the day of our wedding, not knowing what was in store for our future. Our road has had many turns- some unexpected. There have been amazing, breath-taking moments and terrible, jaw-wrenching moments. Highs, lows, twists, turns, ups and downs.

Marriage; a true blessing; a lot of work. But, worth every effort. 

This last week I've been saddened for many friends who have lost loved ones. As I sit reflecting on lives lost, I'm reminded how important it is to count my blessings and take nothing for granted. When we are most frustrated with the nuances of life, we must try to appreciate being alive.

It's okay if you haven't been the best spouse this week. It's okay if you've reacted in a way you are not proud of. It's okay if you've gotten caught up in your own life struggles.

It's okay to start fresh today. Play a song that brings you back to a place of peace, love and hope (and don't be afraid to dance!).

Nothing better than feeling at home w/ the one you love  
Play a love song &  
Live life &

Enjoy the journey you have been blessed with, love the people in your life, smile :) and remember, 'It's Okay'. 
 
Visit www.itsokaybooks.com to learn more!
 
Don't want to miss a blog? Sign up to follow by e-mail.





No comments:

Post a Comment