Monday, March 24, 2014

#tuesdaytip: Keep It Real!

I was about to skip my #tuesdaytip; to throw in the towel and admit, "I've got nothing!" Then it hit me ... where this journey all began.

The 'it's okay' philosophy began with the idea that we often avoid being authentic; being who we really are, because we are fearful of what others will think of us. Or, we are afraid that if we admit our inadequacies, they will somehow define us.

Let's get real. 

Getting 'real' means ...

1. Being honest about your flaws.
2. Laughing at your incredibly daunting moments.
3. Letting others in.
4. Admitting that you don't have all the answers.
5. Realizing that everyone has struggles (they are just all different).
6. Sharing pieces of yourself that are scary.
7. Trusting others won't think less of you for being you.
8. Forgiving yourself for past mistakes.
9. Understanding you're not alone.


10. Believing 'it's okay' to just do the best darn job you can with the strengths and limitations you were blessed with!

The other night I was checking out at Target. It was nearing 9:00 pm on a Saturday night and I was feeling as lucky as a Leprechaun to have just spent my Saturday night, alone, meandering through the isles of an almost empty store.

My cart was overflowing. I had a stack of coupons. I was excited to try my new Cartwheel App. Life was good.

As I started unloading, I apologized to the clerk; knowing that he was probably ready to be done for the night and I had a million things to check out.

The man smiled bright at me and said, "It's no problem for me. I'm here for the next 20 minutes and might as well be helping someone. Looks like you had an enjoyable shopping experience!" He was kind, funny, helpful, enthusiastic and REAL!

Our conversation took many turns. I asked him if he had heard of the book, The Energy Bus, by Jon Gordon. He hadn't but was interested to know why I asked. I told him he reminded me of the bus driver in the book who had an extremely positive outlook and changed the lives of the riders who joined her bus.

He chuckled, "My guidance counselor told me that she was sure one day I'd find something I was good at. She tried to motivate me by asking what I'd do with a million dollars."

I smiled and admitted, "I'm an elementary guidance counselor. I always tell my students it's not about making a million! Rather, it's more important to find a job they like and are good at ... that will PAY the bills."

Our conversation ended with him telling me he thought it was great that I'm honest and 'real' with the kids. I made sure to tell him how much I appreciated his help and his conversation. Who would have thought I'd find such a joyful and authentic conversation checking out at Target?

It's not about revealing all your deep dark secrets. It's not about one-upping someone's struggles. It's not about complaining about all your life nuances.

Just be you. Be honest. Show empathy to others. Understand that life is hard. Keep it real!

This Tuesday, take time to evaluate your authentic self. Examine what parts of your life you might hiding behind. Admit to yourself what you are afraid to admit to others. Don't be afraid to be less than perfect; after all ... there isn't a perfect person out there.

It's not easy to admit you're less than perfect.  
It's okay to be 100% you!

Enjoy the journey you have been blessed with, love the people in your life, smile :) and remember, 'It's Okay'. 
 
Visit www.itsokaybooks.com to learn more!
 
Don't want to miss a blog? Sign up to follow by e-mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment